New Focus: Amanda!

Post Featured Image

New Focus: Amanda!

For the next few weeks, we’ll be focusing our training on higher skill movements, continuing the progression from basic strength exercises to more complex. Last cycle, we added in some kipping practice and dynamic movements like power cleans and push presses. For our next focus, we’re working on even more difficult movements with the benchmark Amanda. 

Contrasted with our last focus, Angie, which was the epitome of high volume CrossFit, Amanda is a very low volume couplet consisting of 9,7, and 5 reps (just 21 reps each) of squat snatches and muscle-ups. To get a faster time in Amanda, one can’t get by on brute strength alone (although of course getting stronger helps). Instead, it is a test of how well technique has improved in two of the most highly challenging movements in CrossFit. 

Our approach for this workout will be to put an emphasis on getting sufficient practice in those two exercises. For our snatch days, we encourage you to worry less about the amount of weight on the bar, and more about being consistent. Oftentimes, a PR in the snatch comes not from increased loading, like a back squat, but from being able to hit most of your snatches at higher percentages. When you can hit at least 4 out of 5 reps at 85-95% of your one rep max consistently, you can be sure that a PR is near. 

For muscle-ups, we’re pairing strict muscle-up work with kipping practice, because getting stronger will help you get a few extra reps when you get tired. We’re also working negatives to help build stability and control through the hardest part of the muscle-up, the transition. Our goal is to improve the amount of reps for those who have muscle-ups, and see if we can get people with the requisite strength their first muscle-up! And if you’re not there yet, we are going to continue to build on the pulling and pushing work we’ve been improving since March. We’ve seen a lot of people get their first pull-ups and push-ups ever, and we want to see that trend continue. 

For this focus, we’re also pairing Amanda with a 1 mile run time trial. This is because, contrasted with Amanda, which very few people can complete RX, running is something anyone with healthy joints can do (although that’s not to say running isn’t a skill to be developed, because it absolutely is). The mile run is a phenomenal test of cardiovascular capacity and a near-perfect distance to test. For a more thorough analysis of why, see former marathoner Mark Sisson’s take here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/better-than-a-marathon-the-1-mile-challenge/#axzz4G0syhhB7 

While we do a lot of running in CrossFit, a lot of times we use it as “active rest” when it’s included as part of a workout. During this cycle, expect to see running by itself much more often, so that you can push appropriately and improve your capacity. 

23 comments (Add your own)

1. wrote:
Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your
post is just cool and i can assume you're an expert on this subject.
Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

fotbollströjor

Fri, March 31, 2017 @ 11:20 PM

2. wrote:
This post will help the internet users for setting up new web site or even a
weblog from start to end.
billige fotballdrakter

Mon, April 17, 2017 @ 7:48 AM

3. Keltriews wrote:
Macrobid 100mg On Sale Levitra Online Generic Levitra Professional Power Pill 100 Viagra Prices Macrobid Where To Buy Inverness Is Amoxicillin Good viagra prescription Levitra 20mg Filmtabletten Preisvergleich Viagra Pour Rire Generic Vibramycin Buy Is Amoxicillin Safe For Birds Stilnox Buy Cialis Amitriptyline Buy In Uk Tadalafil Cheapest Online Kamagra Online Usa Xenical Diet Pills Price

Tue, June 20, 2017 @ 1:17 PM

4. wrote:
I pay a quick visit daily a few web sites and blogs to read
content, except this weblog provides feature
based writing.

Mon, July 31, 2017 @ 10:01 PM

5. wrote:
Great goods from you, man. I have have in mind your stuff
previous to and you're just extremely great. I really like what you have acquired right here,
certainly like what you're saying and the best way
wherein you say it. You are making it entertaining and you continue to take care of
to keep it sensible. I can't wait to read far
more from you. This is actually a wonderful site.

Wed, August 2, 2017 @ 3:48 PM

6. wrote:
I am truly happy to glance at this blog posts which carries plenty of helpful information,
thanks for providing these kinds of data.

Wed, August 2, 2017 @ 5:00 PM

7. wrote:
Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually recognise what
you're speaking approximately! Bookmarked.
Kindly also consult with my website =). We could have
a link alternate contract among us

Thu, August 3, 2017 @ 4:49 PM

8. wrote:
What's up mates, how is the whole thing, and what you would like to say about this post, in my view its actually remarkable for me.

Thu, August 3, 2017 @ 7:03 PM

9. wrote:
We stumbled over here by a different website and thought I may as
well check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you.

Look forward to going over your web page repeatedly.

Thu, August 3, 2017 @ 11:33 PM

10. wrote:
Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say
that I've really enjoyed surfing around your
blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

Fri, August 4, 2017 @ 3:53 PM

11. wrote:
After looking at a handful of the articles on your
website, I really like your way of writing a blog.

I book-marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the near
future. Please check out my web site as well and let
me know what you think.

Sat, August 5, 2017 @ 11:03 PM

12. wrote:
This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me.
Many thanks!

Sun, August 6, 2017 @ 10:58 AM

13. wrote:
Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a enjoyment account it.
Glance advanced to far added agreeable from you! However,
how could we communicate?

Sun, August 6, 2017 @ 7:23 PM

14. wrote:
Yes! Finally something about ig.

Tue, August 15, 2017 @ 12:39 AM

15. wrote:
Excellent post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic?
I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more.

Appreciate it!

Sat, August 19, 2017 @ 3:31 PM

16. wrote:
Nice blog here! Also your website loads up fast! What host are you using?
Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my site loaded
up as quickly as yours lol

Sat, August 19, 2017 @ 10:12 PM

17. wrote:
Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good results.
If you know of any please share. Thanks!

Sun, August 20, 2017 @ 10:34 AM

18. wrote:
I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog.

Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality
writing, it's rare to see a great blog like this one today.

Sun, August 20, 2017 @ 10:50 AM

19. wrote:
An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a coworker who has
been doing a little research on this. And he actually bought me dinner simply because I discovered it for him...
lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah,
thanks for spending some time to talk about this topic here on your blog.

Tue, September 5, 2017 @ 9:19 PM

20. wrote:
Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.

I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I'd post
to let you know. The style and design look great though!
Hope you get the issue solved soon. Thanks

Wed, September 6, 2017 @ 11:20 AM

21. wrote:
I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the page layout of
your site? Its very well written; I love what
youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content
so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text
for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?

Fri, September 8, 2017 @ 5:26 AM

22. wrote:
I've been browsing online more than three hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article
like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made good
content as you did, the net will be a lot more useful than ever before.

Sun, September 17, 2017 @ 1:52 AM

23. wrote:
Hi there! This post couldn't be written any
better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old
room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him.
Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

Mon, September 18, 2017 @ 8:13 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.

Contact Us

Email Us
2036 Blake St.
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 859-4431

Map - Location