How to Stop Cherry-Picking, Sand-bagging, & Plan-Changing

How to Stop Cherry-Picking, Sand-bagging, & Plan-Changing

How to Stop Cherry-Picking, Sand-bagging, & Plan-Changing

What makes some people progress faster than others in their training? Let's get honest about some of the bad habits that slow down your progress at the gym and talk about how to become one of those athletes kicking ass and seeing results. Ask yourself the following questions, and be honest about the answers.

Are you cherry-picking WODs?


Do you see a workout with a few miles of running or a heavy set of snatches and decide you're due for a rest day?  On the other hand, do you plan to take a much needed rest day and see a workout that looks too fun to pass up so you show up anyway? If you answered yes, you may be a cherry-picker! For some, the solution is as simple as not looking at the WOD ahead of time. For those of you who can't control your curiousity, making a commitment to do the WOD no matter what is posted is key. Similarly, making a commitment to rest when needed no matter what is posted is just as important.  Remind yourself how awesome you are for showing up for something you may not enjoy because you see the bigger picture--that your fitness will benefit from being "constantly varied," and variety includes things you're good at as well as things you're not so good at yet. Work those weaknesses enough and they sneak up on you and become strengths before you know it!

Are you sand-bagging your WODs?


So you've shown up for the WOD (regardless of what it is)--now what do you do with it? Do you train smart or do you wander through the workout without any goal in mind? Do you find yourself standing around taking several water breaks during a ten minute workout? Do you avoid going near your true max lifts because you know how much of a struggle a max effort can feel like and you just want to "take it easy today"? Do you even know what your max lifts and benchmark times are? (Note that for those who are new to CrossFit--this is not sand-bagging. All newbies should take it easy on workouts for the first few months guilt-free and really learn the form.)

Tracking your weights and times is a great way to start training smarter. Record your workouts in a log book or app so that you can set goals based on past performance. If you haven't checked out Beyond the Whiteboard yet, we've been using it to post workouts, and you can use it online or on the iPhone app to log results, compare results to past efforts, and compare your results to the gym or worldwide leaderboards. You don't need to aim for a PR every lifting day, but you do need to know that you're working in an appropriate weight range to make the work meaningful. During your metcon (metabolic conditioning) workouts, try watching the clock or counting a set number of breaths during your rest times and see if you can slowly reduce the amount of rest you need before getting back to work.

Let's talk about progressions--you have been working on pistols for nearly two months. Have you challenged yourself by lowering the box or stack of plates you're on? Have you tried taking your handstand to the floor? The point of progressions is to progress--so start pushing those limits a little further each time you tackle them, and you'll see your range of motion and strength improve a lot faster on your skill work.

Are you coming up with too many "plans" with no follow-through?

Let's say today's workout involves a lot of running--you show up for the workout (despite your hatred of running), you set a goal to beat your old mile time (because you're tracking diligently in your WODbook), and then... you miss your goal. You spend a few minutes in self-pity, and then you have an idea! A brilliant idea! You're going to work on your running. Your cardio sucks, and you just have to do something about it. From now on you're going to run 3 times a week after your workout. 

The next day the WOD is back squats. You hit a 5 pound PR and you're excited, but then you watch the girl next to you throw up 30 more pounds than you just did, and she makes it look easy. You think "That's it--I really have to get my strength up. If I do back squats three times every week, I'll be so much stronger."

If this sounds like you every time you struggle with a movement, guess what? You do have a plan--your plan is a strength and conditioning program called CrossFit. By definition, you will be focusing on both your strength and conditioning. Can you focus on back squat for a few months and get your numbers up a little faster than with CrossFit alone? Perhaps. Or maybe you burn out your legs (because you also need them for several of the programmed wods during the week) and don't allow enough recovery time to see the benefits of the exercise. Either way, chances are you didn't start CrossFit to be the best back squatter in the world or the best runner or the best kettlebell swinger. CrossFit is about being a well-rounded athlete ready to tackle anything that comes your way. CrossFitters are so great because they can hold their own in a strength competition one day, a running event the next day, and handstand walk their way back to the gym the next to work on completely different skills. If you focus too much on one thing, something else in your training may suffer.

This is not to say that you shouldn't work extra on skills that you struggle with. If your double unders are terrible, spending a few minutes before or after class each day to improve them is a great idea! It also won't interfere with the already carefully planned programming. However, doing an extra hundred wall balls every day because you want to get better at them will definitely mess up your ability to do the WODs. Supplemental work should be carefully chosen so as not to interfere with your programming.


So how do you start kicking ass and seeing the progress you want to see?

When you look at the people making the most progress at the gym, these are the things they have in common:

  • They commit to a workout schedule (either a set routine or to set amount of days per week) no matter what the WOD is.
  • They push themselves appropriately and set goals based on their tracking.
  • They don't come up with new programming plans every week--they stay focused on the big picture.
  • They get enough sleep and eat quality foods regularly.
  • They come early or stay late to do mobility work.
  • They focus on full range of motion and good form so as to get the full benefit of each exercise. 
  • They keep a positive attitude! There's no point stressing about all the things we want to improve--when you're trying to master such a wide range of skills, patience is key. Celebrate each little victory along the way, and enjoy the ride!

 

41 comments (Add your own)

1. wrote:
What's up i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this piece
of writing i thought i could also make comment
due to this sensible piece of writing.

Thu, June 1, 2017 @ 1:52 AM

2. Keltriews wrote:
Patanol How To Order Cialis Amoxicillin 500 Mg Dosage Instructions Cialis Gunstig Kaufen viagra Generic Viagra Best Price Amoxicillin Dose Pediatric Cheap Kamagra Uk Canada Generic Viagra Cialis Professional On Line Viagra Online Usa Keflex Decreases Athletic Performance Cialis 20 Mg Filmtabl 12 St Best Online Levitra Viahra Cephalexin For Cats Buy Priligy Pills Viagra For Sale In Packets

Thu, June 15, 2017 @ 1:49 PM

3. Keltriews wrote:
Cheap Soft Viagra No Script Levitra International Pharmacy No Prescription Buy Kamagra Oral Jelly Cialis Prices Priligy Dauer Keflex Vision Levitra For Cheap Can Buy Colchicine 0 5 At Store Generico Levitra Cialis To Buy Amoxicillin Dosage Pediatric Levitra Mit Dapoxetin Buy Levitra Vardenafil Fiat Propecia Zithromax Treatment how to buy levitra Como Usar Propecia

Wed, June 21, 2017 @ 3:27 PM

4. wrote:
I am very happy to read this. This is the type of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that is
at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc.

Sat, July 1, 2017 @ 9:13 PM

5. wrote:
What's up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this
paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible paragraph.

Mon, July 3, 2017 @ 2:49 PM

6. best essay writing service wrote:
incredible submits. this is terrific content for a blogger who moreover writes invented story, poetry, and many others. I’ve had a feel in my spoil thru fire that the two worlds of walking a weblog and all specific writing had been extra dissertation writing provider related than they regarded. This submits is spot on in enlightening how some ethics affect to any writing position.

Fri, July 7, 2017 @ 6:19 AM

7. wrote:
Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting
to know your situation; many of us have developed some nice procedures and we are looking
to exchange methods with other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Mon, July 31, 2017 @ 10:11 PM

8. wrote:
Hi there! This blog post couldn't be written much better!

Looking through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!

He always kept preaching about this. I'll forward this article to him.

Fairly certain he'll have a very good read. Thank you
for sharing!

Tue, August 1, 2017 @ 9:11 PM

9. wrote:
I do not know whether it's just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing issues with your site.
It appears as though some of the written text within your posts are running off the screen.
Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this
is happening to them as well? This may be a issue with my web browser because I've had this
happen before. Many thanks

Tue, August 1, 2017 @ 9:45 PM

10. wrote:
Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks
of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?

Wed, August 2, 2017 @ 5:25 AM

11. wrote:
Keep this going please, great job!

Wed, August 2, 2017 @ 7:29 AM

12. wrote:
I will immediately take hold of your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service.

Do you have any? Please allow me recognise in order
that I may subscribe. Thanks.

Wed, August 2, 2017 @ 10:52 AM

13. wrote:
It's not my first time to go to see this
web page, i am browsing this website dailly and obtain good facts from here every day.

Wed, August 2, 2017 @ 12:36 PM

14. wrote:
It's appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy.
I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice.
Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.
I wish to read more things about it!

Thu, August 3, 2017 @ 2:59 AM

15. wrote:
magnificent post, very informative. I'm wondering why the other experts of this sector do not
realize this. You must proceed your writing. I am
confident, you have a great readers' base already!

Thu, August 3, 2017 @ 5:37 AM

16. wrote:
Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!
By the way, how could we communicate?

Thu, August 3, 2017 @ 8:01 PM

17. wrote:
Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic however , I'd figured I'd ask.
Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog article or vice-versa?
My site covers a lot of the same subjects
as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
If you are interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing
from you! Superb blog by the way!

Thu, August 3, 2017 @ 8:14 PM

18. wrote:
Great article.

Fri, August 4, 2017 @ 7:54 AM

19. wrote:
I see you don't monetize your website, don't waste your traffic, you
can earn additional bucks every month because you've got hi quality content.

If you want to know what is the best adsense alternative, search in google: adsense alternative Mertiso's tips

Sat, August 5, 2017 @ 12:50 AM

20. wrote:
Hello! I realize this is kind of off-topic however I had to ask.
Does operating a well-established website such as yours require
a lot of work? I'm completely new to operating a blog
but I do write in my diary daily. I'd like to start a blog so I will
be able to share my own experience and views online. Please let me
know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for new aspiring bloggers.
Appreciate it!

Sat, August 5, 2017 @ 12:58 AM

21. wrote:
It's remarkable to visit this site and reading the views of all colleagues
regarding this article, while I am also zealous of getting familiarity.

Sun, August 6, 2017 @ 12:57 AM

22. wrote:
We're a gaggle of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
Your site offered us with useful info to work on. You've performed an impressive
task and our whole group will likely be grateful to you.

Mon, August 7, 2017 @ 3:17 PM

23. wrote:
Great web site you have got here.. It's difficult to find quality writing like yours
nowadays. I seriously appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

Mon, August 14, 2017 @ 1:54 PM

24. wrote:
Fantastic goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just extremely great.
I really like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way
in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.
I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a wonderful
web site.

Tue, August 15, 2017 @ 10:36 PM

25. wrote:
Excellent site you have here.. It's difficult to find good quality
writing like yours nowadays. I truly appreciate individuals like you!
Take care!!

Wed, August 16, 2017 @ 6:13 AM

26. wrote:
Fantastic items from you, man. I've take note your stuff previous
to and you are just too fantastic. I actually like what you have acquired
right here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which
in which you are saying it. You make it entertaining and you still care
for to stay it wise. I can't wait to read far more from
you. This is really a terrific web site.

Sat, August 19, 2017 @ 5:01 AM

27. wrote:
Hi, I think your web site could be having browser compatibility issues.
Whenever I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine
however, when opening in IE, it has some overlapping issues.
I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
Apart from that, fantastic blog!

Sun, August 20, 2017 @ 2:20 PM

28. wrote:
If some one wishes expert view about running a blog then i suggest him/her to visit this weblog, Keep up the
fastidious work.

Sun, August 20, 2017 @ 6:45 PM

29. wrote:
I've read some excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking
for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you set to make this type of fantastic
informative website.

Mon, August 21, 2017 @ 4:51 AM

30. wrote:
Hi, I would like to subscribe for this website to
get hottest updates, thus where can i do it please help.

Sun, August 27, 2017 @ 2:10 AM

31. wrote:
Hi there i am kavin, its my first time to
commenting anywhere, when i read this piece of writing i thought i could also create comment due to this good post.

Mon, August 28, 2017 @ 2:34 AM

32. wrote:
First of all I would like to say terrific blog!
I had a quick question that I'd like to ask if you do not mind.
I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
I have had a tough time clearing my thoughts
in getting my thoughts out. I do take pleasure in writing however
it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted simply just trying to figure out how
to begin. Any suggestions or tips? Cheers!

Thu, August 31, 2017 @ 1:33 AM

33. wrote:
I do trust all of the ideas you've offered in your post.
They're really convincing and will definitely work.
Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for novices.
Could you please prolong them a little from subsequent time?
Thanks for the post.

Mon, September 4, 2017 @ 12:26 PM

34. wrote:
Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the images on this blog loading?

I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it's
the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Tue, September 5, 2017 @ 1:49 PM

35. wrote:
Hi friends, how is all, and what you would like to
say regarding this post, in my view its really remarkable in favor of me.

Tue, September 5, 2017 @ 8:14 PM

36. wrote:
Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know
a few of the pictures aren't loading properly.
I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
I've tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.

Tue, September 5, 2017 @ 9:30 PM

37. wrote:
Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you could
be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and will often come
back from now on. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great job,
have a nice holiday weekend!

Fri, September 8, 2017 @ 7:26 AM

38. wrote:
I am not sure where you are getting your info,
but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.

Thanks for excellent information I was looking for this information for my mission.

Fri, September 8, 2017 @ 8:47 AM

39. wrote:
whoah this weblog is wonderful i really like reading your posts.
Stay up the good work! You understand, lots of persons are searching round for this info, you could
help them greatly.

Sat, September 9, 2017 @ 12:38 PM

40. wrote:
Unquestionably consider that which you said. Your favourite justification seemed to
be at the web the easiest thing to consider of. I say to
you, I definitely get irked whilst folks consider concerns that they just don't understand about.
You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and defined out the whole thing
with no need side-effects , other folks can take a signal.

Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Sat, September 9, 2017 @ 2:51 PM

41. wrote:
Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?
I have a blog based on the same subjects you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers
would enjoy your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.

Sun, September 10, 2017 @ 7:41 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.

Contact Us

Email Us
2036 Blake St.
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 859-4431

Map - Location